Professor of Plant Biology and Crop Sciences
196A Edward R Madigan Laboratory MC-051
Ph.D, 1972, Universitat Heidelberg
IB 475 Plant Metabolomics
IB 496 ROS Seminar
IB 496A Plant Biotic Interactions Seminar
IB 524 Plant Biochemistry
The reference list below provides an idea about the various ramifications of the lab's work, which - although seemingly unrelated - are all united in the focus on molecular or molecular genetic reactions of plants to disturbances in the environment. Several projects address the characterization of T_DNA insertion mutants that are compromised in their abiotic or biotic stress resistance (refs, 1, 7, 11). Others investigated plant reactions to stress in the field, using transcript and metabolite profiling (refs. 2, 3) or in model species (refs. 4, 5, 8). Much emphasis has more recently been directed towards bioinformatics analyses of huge datasets on Arabidopsis transcript profiles that have been deposited in the databanks (refs. 6, 9, 10). Reference 10 describes the application of a relatively new mathematical model - the Graphical Gaussian model (GGM) - that has not previously been used for an analysis of the entire Arabidopsis transcriptome. GGM provides, based on transcript data, a co-expression network in graphical form for all genes that are regulated highly similarly under a large number of experimental conditions. We are still exploring the results and predictions that emerge from the GGM script but it is already clear that GGM is particularly useful for predictions of the functions of individual isoforms in gene families. The next evolution of this GGM on which we work is being designed to incorporate qualities that are predictive of signaling and signal transmission pathways.
1. Lee J, Nam J, Park HC, Na G, Miura K, Jin JB, Yoo CY, Baek D, Kim DH, Jeong JC, Kim D, Lee SY, Salt D, Mengiste T, Gong Q, Ma S, Bohnert HJ, Kwak SS, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Yun DJ (2007) Salicylic acid-mediated innate immunity in Arabidopsis is regulated by SIZ1 SUMO E3 ligase. Plant Journal 49: 79-90.
2. Talame V., Ozturk ZN, Bohnert HJ, Tuberosa R (2007) Dynamics of water loss affects the differential expression of drought-related genes in barley. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 229-240.
3. Li P, Bohnert HJ, Grene R (2007) All about FACE - Plants in a high [CO2] World. Trends in Plant Sciences 12: 87-89.
4. Sato K, Ohsato H, Izumi S, Miyazaki S, Bohnert HJ, Moriyama H, Fukuhara T (2007) Diurnal expressions of five protein phosphatase type 2C genes in the common ice plant, Mesembryanthemum crystallinum. Functional Plant Biology 34: 581-588.
5. Li, X., Wen Z, Bohnert, H.J., Schuler, M., Kushad, M. (2007). Cloning of a myrosinase cDNA from horseradish (Armoaracia rusticana) root and its heterologous expression in Spodoptera frugiperda insect cells. Plant Science 172: 1095-1102.
6. Ma S, Bohnert HJ (2007) Integration of Arabidopsis thaliana stress-related transcript profiles, promoter structures, and cell-specific expression. Genome Biology 8: R49.
7. Oh D-H, Gong Q, Ulanov A, Zhang Q, Li Y, Bressan RA, Yun D-J, Bohnert HJ (2007) Sodium stress in the halophyte Thellungiella halophila and transcriptional changes in a thsos1-RNAi line. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 49: in press.
8. Burey SC, Poroyko, V, Ozturk, ZN, Fathi-Nejad, S, Schuller, C, Ohnishi N, Fukuzawa H, Bohnert, HJ and Loffelhardt, W (2007) Acclimation to low [CO2] by an inorganic carbon concentrating mechanism in Cyanophora paradoxa. Plant Cell & Environment, in press.
9. Ma S, Bohnert HJ (2007) Gene Networks for the Integration and better Understanding of Gene Expression Characteristics. Weed Science Journal, in press.
10. Ma S, Gong Q, Bohnert HJ (2007) An Arabidopsis Gene Network based on the Graphical Gaussian Model. Genome Research, in press.
11. Kim J-I, Shakhun A, Li P, Jeong J-C, Baek D, Lee S-Y, Blakeslee JJ, Murphy AS, Bohnert HJ, Hasegawa PM, Yun D-J, Bressan RA (2007) Activation of the Arabidopsis HYPERTALL (HYT1/YUCCA6) locus affects several auxin-mediated responses to a staygreen phenotype. Plant Physiol, in press (e-pub Sept 2007 ahead of print).