DNA Structure and Replication

ID #1681

I understand that the amount of A equals the amount of T and that the amount of G equals the amount of C, and then the A+G = T+C, but I am not sure how to incorporate this when given amounts that do not equal. For example if you were given the amount of C and wanted to know the amount of A.


If you have a certain percentage of one base in double-stranded DNA, you can easily identify the percentages of all three other bases. Let's say the percentage of cytosine (C) is 40%. Since the percentage of C = the percentage of G, then there's also 40% G. 40% + 40% = 80% that you've accounted for in C and G, leaving 20% A and T. Since the percentage of A has to = the percentage of T, that means there's 10% A and 10% T.

Print this record Print this record
Send to a friend Send to a friend
Show this as PDF file Show this as PDF file
Export as XML-File Export as XML-File