ID #1104

I have a question about naming glycosidic linkages. I know to look at the hydrogen above or below the one carbon on a sugar, but I don't know which of the two to look at. For example, if there is a glucose sugar on the left that is an alpha glucose, and it forms a glycosidic linkage with a beta glucose on the right, what is the name for the linkage? So basically, which glucose should I look at?

Look for the glucose whose carbon #1 is participating in that glycosidic linkage (it's typically going to be the glucose on the left). Then determine if that glucose is in the alpha or beta configuration, and that is the nature of the glycosidic linkage.

Print this record Print this record
Send to a friend Send to a friend
Show this as PDF file Show this as PDF file
Export as XML-File Export as XML-File