Nucleo-Cytoplasmic Exchange

ID #2007

I know an NLS signals to the nuclear envelope that something needs to get into the nucleus but is this only for active transport? Do really small molecules that can just float in and out of the nuclear pores by passive transport need NLS's too?

Only larger molecules that need to be actively transported across the envelope require an NLS or an NES. If you're small enough to slip through a nuclear pore, you don't need a special signal.

Print this record Print this record
Send to a friend Send to a friend
Show this as PDF file Show this as PDF file
Export as XML-File Export as XML-File