Ent. 105 NAME ______________________
First hour exam
February 16, 1994
1. Arachnids have two body divisions--these are the _____________ and the abdomen.
2. Insects have three body divisions: these are the _______, _________, and abdomen.
3. The "fish" in "silverfish" refers to:
a. the aquatic habits of silverfish
b. the scales on the body of a silverfish
c. the way a silverfish smells
d. the overall shape of a silverfish
4. The eggs of members of the order Dictyoptera are contained in
a. an ootheca
b. a corbicula
c. the mouth of the mother
d. a burrow in the ground
5. Two groups of insects in the order Dictyoptera are the _________ and the ___________.
6. The larva of a member of the order Lepidoptera is called a _____________;
the larva of a member of the order Coleoptera is usually called a _________.
7. In the scientific name Schistocerca gregaria,
a. what taxonomic unit is designated by Schistocerca?
b. what taxonomic unit is designated by gregaria?
c. who is this insect?
8. Fill in the blanks in this taxonomic hierarchy:
Kingdom, __________, Class, __________, Family, __________, Species
9. Chitin is a
a. carbohydrate polymer that forms the bulk of structural material in plants
b. protein produced in the salivary glands of homopterans
c. resinous material collected from trees by bees
d. carbohydrate polymer that forms the bulk of structural material in exoskeleton.
10. Oxygen enters the body of an insect through openings called _________ and moves
through the body in a system of tubes called ___________.
11. Fill in the missing numbers:
Number of legs Number of antennae
Arachnids ____ ____
Insects ____ ____
12. What is the principal function of epicuticle?
a. Produces new exoskeleton at the molt
b. Provides waterproofing for the exoskeleton
c. Provides rigidity to the exoskeleton
13. Arrange the life stages "egg, pupa, imago, and larva" in chronological sequence
for insects with holometabolous development.
14. Which hormone is produced by the corpora allata?
a. brain hormone
c. juvenile hormone
15. Which is NOT a physiological characteristic of diapause?
a. buildup in fat reserves
b. increased metabolic rate
c. reduction in body water
d. increased resistance to extreme conditions
16. A single unit of a compound eye is called:
a. an ommatidium
b. an ocellus
c. a stemmatum
d. a rhabdom
17. Correct this statement: Like humans, bees can see ultraviolet light.
18. Crickets stridulate by:
a. muscular contraction causing vibration of the wing membrane
b. scraping a file on the wing against a ridge on the other wing
c. knocking on substrate
d. forcing air through the spiracles
19. Which of the following is a uniquely male activity?
a. cricket chirping
b. firefly flashing
c. both a and b
d. none of the above
20. In the abdomen of adult fireflies is a light-producing organ: cells in these
"lanterns" contain a substance called luciferin, which reacts in the presence of__________
with an enzyme called luciferase to produce light.
21. Which of the following traits is NOT a defining characteristic of eusociality?
a. overlap of generations
b. reproductive division of labor
c. possession of venom glands
d. cooperative care of offspring
22. In honey bee colonies, division of labor among workers is based on differences
in worker ________.
23. Where do honey bees get wax to build their combs?
a. from glands in the head
b. from glands in the abdomen
c. from secretions of plants
d. from secretions of the larvae
24. What is the single most important economic benefit derived from honey bees?
b. royal jelly
25. How do bees carry pollen back to the hive? NAME _______________________
a. in their crop
b. on their legs
c. in a structure called an ootheca
d. bees don't carry pollen back to the hive; they eat pollen at the flower and only
transport nectar back to the hive.
26. What are two things bees do to turn nectar into honey?
27. What are two reasons that honey is used in the baking industry?
28. True or false: In the Phylum Arthropoda, herbivores are found only in the Class
29. Most herbivorous insects are (polyphagous/ oligophagous/ monophagous).
30. What are two reasons plants are less than ideal food for insects?
31. In which orders are gall formers are frequently found?
32. Correct this sentence: The longer the generation time, the greater the reproductive
33. What environmental cues are known to promote the appearance of gregarious (migratory)
34. In the Intertropical Convergence Zone,
a. heavy rain promotes the survival of eggs of migratory locusts
b. strong winds sweep locusts off the ground, promoting mass streamaway
c. an absence of predators promotes the buildup of large locust populations
d. the desert locust has gone extinct, for reasons unknown.
35. The vast majority of homopterans are economically harmful rather than beneficial.
How are homopterans harmful?
a. They sting
b. They suck blood and spread diseases among humans and domestic animals
c. They suck plant sap and spread diseases among plants
d. All of the above
36. What useful service does the cochineal scale provide with respect to its host
the prickly pear?
What useful product does the cochineal scale provide?
37.From what geographic area do lac scales come from?
. From what geographic area do manna scales come from?
38. Silk is the threadlike viscous secretion of the ____________ glands of Bombyx
39. Silk fabric production was first practiced in
40. What does Bombyx mori eat?
41. Sericin is the
a. gummy outer coating that causes silk fibers to stick together
b. proteinaceous inner layer that gives silk its strength
c. art and science of producing silk
d. name of the Empress who discovered the silk-producing capabilities of Bombyx mori.
42. Which of the following is NOT an anatomical trait characterizing gallmakers?
a. the absence of a functional anus in the larva
b. reduction in size and number of appendages in the larva
c. reduced sensory apparatus in the larva
d. large strong mandibles in the adult to escape from the gall after emergence
43. How is the Aleppo gall important?
a. It is useful in the biological control of Mexican Devil Weed
b. It is used as a source of tannic acid
c. its sugary secretions are eaten in the deserts of the Near East
d. It is a major pest of wheat
44. Why is phylloxera economically important?
45. When combined with iron salts, tannic acid forms a precipitate that is _________
in color, which is used for making _________.
46. Correct this statement: Two orders in which large numbers of stored product species
are found are the Hemiptera and Coleoptera.
47. Which of the following cockroaches can be found in the United States?
a. the American cockroach
b. the German cockroach
c. the Oriental cockroach
d. All of the above
48. Most pests of processed plant foods in the home are descended from
a. species that feed on foliage of flowering plants
b. predaceous species
c. species that feed on grain caches in bird or rodent nests
d. wood-feeding species
49. The flour beetle and the Mediterranean flour moth are (primary/secondary) pests
of stored grain.
50. Provide an example that proves the statement below to be false:
Stored prodcut pests only affect products of plant origin.