Entomology 105--Insects and People
First hour exam
February 19, 1999
1. True or false: The shorter the generation time, the greater the
2. An example of an insect that sucks phloem sap is ___________.
3. Name an arthropod, other than Bombyx mori, that has been used for
commercial silk production:
4. True or false: The Japanese silkworm, Bombyx mori, is an example of a
5. Insect digestive and detoxification enzymes are secreted in
a. the foregut
b. the midgut
c. the hindgut
d. throughout the alimentary tract
6. Name an order whose members suck plant sap:______________.
7. Puddlng in butterflies makes up for what nutritional deficiency in plants?
a. low protein
b. low water content
c. low sodium content
d. high toxin content
8. Name the insects involved in
9. The economic value of bee pollination in the U.S. each year is on the
a. one billion dollars
b. ten billion dollars
d.100 billion dollars
10. Bees carry pollen back to the hive
a. in their honey stomach
b. in their corbicula
c. in their crop
d. on their tongue
11. True or false: Propolis is produced by bees from tree resins.
12. What is one reason honey is widely used in the baking industry?
13. Where do you find invertase?
a. in bee saliva
b. in bee stingers
c. in the wax glands of bees
d. in a flower
14. "Bee space" is the clearance bees permit themselves to walk around
their hive. Approximately how big is "bee space"?
a. 1/10th of an inch
b. 3/8th of an inch
c. an inch
d. two inches
15. What is mead?
16. List two features that differentiate termite societies from
17. In the honey bee, polyethism is based on worker ____________.
18. The three castes found within a honey bee colony include
19. List two environmental cues known to promote the appearance of
Schistocerca gregaria var. gregaria:
20. Which of the following cockroach species are native to the U.S. (i.e.,
originated in North America)?
a. the American cockroach
b. the German cockroach
c. the Oriental cockroach
d. none of the above
21. In termites, anal trophallaxis has to do with
a. eliminating wastes
b. defending the colony
d. acquiring symbiotic microbes
22. Which of the following characteristics DOES NOT define eusociality?
a. cooperative brood care
b. possession of a stinger
c. overlap of generations
d. reproductive division of labor
23. Which of the following insects stridulate?
a. deathwatch beetles
d. honey bees
24. Provide an example of tool use by an insect.
25. A directed locomotory response to a chemical gradient is an example of
what kind of behavior?
c. primary transverse orientation
d. secondary transverse orientation
26. What kinds of signals are perceived by an ommatidium?
a. chemicals in solution
b. airborne chemicals
27. Insect cuticle is made up of two major components, a protein called
__________ and a carbohydrate polymer called ___________.
28. What is a spiracle?
29. In holometabolous development, adult tissues are quiescent throughout
the immature stages in islands of adult cells called ________ ___________.
30. Where is the wax layer of the exoskeleton found?
31. In which order are saltatorial legs found?
d. a and c
32. In which order are halteres found?
33. Two orders of insects whose members are all herbivorous are
_____________ and ___________.
34. Two orders of insects in which eusociality is found are ___________ and
35. Which of the following organisms molt throughout their entire life?
d. all of the above
36. Millipedes belong to the Class
37. True or false: Like insects, spiders have a single pair of antennae on
38. In the name Musca domestica L.,
a. what taxonomic unit is designated by Musca?
b. what taxonomic unit is designated by domestica?
c. what is meant by the L.?
d. why is the name italicized?
39. The name "rice weevil" is a
a. binomial name
b. vernacular name
c. scientific name
d. Linnaean name
40. The host of the cochineal scale is
a. tamarisk tree
b. fig tree
c. prickly pear cactus
d. banyan tree
41. List two important uses for shellac:
42. True or false: Like silk from Japanese silkworms, silk from spiders is
produced from secretions of the salivary glands.
43. What does Bombyx mori eat?
a. Morus alba
b. Morus rubra
c. Morus multicaulis
d. a wide range of tree species
44. What microbial disease of silkworms did Louis Pasteur study?
45. In the production of silk, what is meant by "throwing"?
46. Which of the following is NOT a property of silk?
a. it's absorbant and takes dyes well
b. it's cheap and easy to produce
c. it's lightweight but very strong
d. it's elastic and crease-resistant
47. Silk consists of two materials, a gummy outer covering called
___________ and a proteinaceous inner layer called __________.
48. Melanoplus spretus is
a. a major problem today throughout the Middle East
b. a major problem today throughout the American Southwest
c. a major problem today all around the world
49. Identify two characteristics that distinguish S. gregaria var gregaria
from S. gregaria var solitaria
50. List two contemporary uses for cochineal:
51. List one way artificial selection has altered the biology of crop plants:
52. Identify the pollinator of the following plants:
a. chocolate tree
53. What is ecdysis?
54. The honey bee dance language is used to communicate information about
a. the movement and location of the queen
b. when grubs should be fed
c. the presence of intruders in the hive
d. the location of pollen and nectar sources.
55. List two ways in which jointed appendages improved insect locomotion.
56. Light is produced in the abdomen of a firefly when, in the presence of
the enzyme __________, a substance called ____________ reacts with oxygen.
57. Which of the following insects uses a tymbal for producing sounds?
a. hissing cockroach
c. deathwatch beetle
58. The proper way to write the scientific name of the Italian honey bee is
a. Apis mellifera ligustica
b. Apis mellifera ligustica
c. Apis Mellifera Ligustica
d. apis mellifera ligustica
59. Most stored product pests are descended from
a. aquatic species
b. predaceous species
c. species that feed on grain caches in bird or rodent nests
d. species that feed on foliage of flowering plants
60. Which of the following is a secondary pest of stored grain?
a. Adzuki bean weevil
b. Mediterranean flour moth
c. cheese skipper
d. rice weevil
61. List two physiological or morphological adaptations possessed by a
number of stored product insects:
62. Is phylloxera useful or destructive? Explain your answer.
63. To make a blue-black ink, combine tannic acid with _________ __________.
64. List two anatomical traits that characterize gallmaking insects in general:
65. In which orders are gallforming insects known to occur?
d. all of the above
66. Which of the following organisms is NOT KNOWN to create galls on a plant?
67. What useful service (from the human perspective) does the cochineal
scale provide with respect to its hostplant?
68. An important product obtained from Trabutina mannipara is
69. An example of a plant disease vectored by leafhoppers is
70. Where can you find keratinase?
a. in the guts of flour beetles
b. in the guts of carpet beetles
c. in the guts of clothes moths
d. both b and c.
71. How can a silverfish be considered a "bookworm"?
72. Name an order in which large numbers of stored product species are found:
73. Fill in the blanks in this taxonomic hierarchy:
Kingdom, ____________, _____________, Order
74. Classify the following mortality factors as density-dependent or
a. competition for oviposition sites