First hour exam Spring 2002
1. Phylum, Class, Genus
2c. It's in a foreign language (Latin).
4. binomial nomenclature
8. scales on body
9. tracheae; spiracles
10. sclerotization; chitin; sclerotin
11. molt from pupa to adult
13. Used as a reporter gene, to detect ATP, to detect drug resistant bacteria.
16b. scrap file on ridge (stridulation)
19a & b. improved defense, brood care, food location; environmental homeostasis
22 a & b. Hymenoptera and Isoptera (also Hemiptera and Thysanoptera)
23a, b & c. worker, queen, and drone
24 a & b. dehydrate it, add enzymes/antioxidants, convert sugars
25 a & b. keeps products moist, sweetener, browning agent; market appeal
26. foregut; pollen baskets or corbicula
27. cosmetics, sweetener, alcohol, curing meat
29. anther; stamens; stigma; pistil
33 a & b. Coleoptera, Lepidoptera, and Diptera (also Hemiptera)
35 a, b, and c. greater nutrition/water content; larger edible parts; fewer toxins/defenses in edible portions, loss of dispersal mechanisms
37 a, b & c. early age of first reproduction; large clutch size; more clutches over lifespan; short interval between clutches
38. Number of individuals that the resources of a given environment can support.
39. gregarization pheromones
41. Density dependent factors, such as disease, competition, and increased predation, eventually reduce the population.
43.. He invented the jacquard - from this invention the census card, the weaving pattern card, and the first computers were developed.
44 a & b. strong, flame resistant, stretches, absorbs dye well,
46. Japanese silk moth or Japanese silkworm; this insect is a moth from east Asia that is the source of commercial silk
47. cow, goat, hampster
48. black widow spider; gun sights, bomb sights, bulletproof vests
49. glassy wing sharpshooter
50a. lac or shellac
50c. chewing gum
52 a & b. dye, food dye, cosmetics, medicine
53. a gall-dwelling animal
55 a & b. Hymenoptera and Diptera
56 a & b. loss of appendages, loss of wings, loss of sensory apparatus, no functional anus
57. iron salts
62 a & b. small size, loss of sensory organs, wingless, ability to tolerate dry conditions and toxins